Saturday, December 19, 2009

Great Honor

I had the great honor to name a child today. In China, people have Chinese names that are given to them by family, but when asked what your name is by a foreign person, they will simply say that they do not have an English name. I had a new student in one of my classes, and was told that I would be able to name him, for the rest of his given life in the English language. I thought long and hard about it, and came up with a name that I believe speaks great deals about this young man. His name is Nitro. For the rest of his life, while spoken in the English language, this boy will be known as Nitro.

I also had the great honor of being this year's Santa Claus for the Bear American school's Christmas party. To make a long story short, I dressed as Santa Claus and had 80 young Chinese kids yelling and screaming at me for 2 hours as I passed out candy to them from a stocking. It was a Christmas celebration that I will absolutely not soon forget

No comments:

Post a Comment