Friday, March 12, 2010

Gold Medal Hockey

So last week, as most everyone knows, the Canucks had their own little miracle occur by beating the Americans in one of the most memorable hockey games of all time. By winning the gold medal they salvaged what would have been one of the more embarrassing overall Olympic games as well. My account of this game is also probably the most memorable hockey games that I've personally witnessed. Seeing as I'm on the opposite end of the world, and hockey is about as foreign as I am to these people, I had to go to great lengths to watch the game. Word got around that one of the bars we go to would be playing the game, so everyone that cared made the effort and stayed up to watch the puck drop at 3:30 on Monday morning. As Sunday night is one of the more fun nights for people to go out, we just stayed up and made our way there in time to see it from the beginning. About 20 people made it, the majority of which being Canadian, and we all had quite a time. I already hated Sidney Crosby, just on the grounds that he's a bit of a pansy, but him scoring the game winner solidified him as being my most hated athlete in professional sports. Wade, the owner of the bar, was so amused at the behavior of a bunch of rowdy westerners that at the end of the game he was giving out free shots to anyone that wanted them. Obviously it was a complete tragedy the way it ended, but we still managed to have a pretty great time.

I often wonder why Chinese people stare at foreigners like we are aliens. This was one of those times when it makes sense to me. The people walking to work or school at 8:30 in the morning, or those serving us our McDonald's breakfast, were completely terrified, justifiably so. As I said before, probably the most memorable hockey game I've ever witnessed

No comments:

Post a Comment